Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Letter to My Daughter

   

To my baby girl,

In just a few days you will start one of the most gratifying journeys of your life, becoming a parent to a precious baby girl.



It seems just like yesterday that I was getting the news that I was pregnant with you. How those 9 months flew by. I loved being pregnant and feeling you move in my belly. Each day I fell more in love with you. We made the decision to not find out what sex you were. Your name was all picked out. If you had been a boy you would have been a Jr. At 2 AM on April 21, 1988 my water broke and at 1:00 PM one of the greatest moments of my life occurred, you were born.



On Friday as you prepare to have a beautiful daughter; there are so many things I want to tell you. I have loved helping you pick out things for the nursery, planning your baby shower, shopping and just helping you get ready for this new gift from God. I raised you to be smart and independent, and I know these traits will help you be a wonderful mother. This is a special time for me, too, as I look forward to the birth of my first grandchild.

A little piece of advice, try to enjoy this important time in your life. Keep a journal to remember all of it, even the parts that are painful or scary or disgusting. One day you will look back and be able to cry or laugh at it all. All of these things are part of a larger story that you will get to experience only this once. Even if you have other children, the first time is so special.


 
You will receive lots of advice from me, friends and perfect strangers. Some of it you will agree with and some you won’t. You are the Mother so what you decide is all that matters. Go with your gut because it is usually right. Have fun and enjoy this wonderful new life with your precious baby girl. She will grow up so fast and it will be time for her to go off to college.

I love you so much and look so forward to what the future has for you, your daughter and our small family.

Love always,

Mom

Children too are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb, a reward.” – Psalm 127:3

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your new journey! I wish you all well with what is about to be the most amazing experience you will have.

    ReplyDelete